Generally, as we get older, we become wiser, and learn things, so the older we get, the more we know. However sometimes learning actually has the opposite effect, so there are things which I once thought I knew for certain, but I’m now not so sure about. So here are some things about the adult world which I used to know:
- Adults know what they’re doing
- My parents are always right
- Parents always do what’s best for their children
- Nice people vote Labour
- Politicians can be trusted
- Adults never fall out
- I will succeed in anything I try
- Bullying stops after school
- Everyone gets what they want in life – love, jobs etc.
- Marriage is forever
- War is always wrong
- Things won’t change in the world
- Anything can be sorted out by the Government
- It’s very rare for young people to die
- Everything ends well
And basically, I always thought I knew how my life would pan out, it seemed simple to just finish school, do A-Levels, go to whichever uni I chose, graduate, get a job, get married, live in a lovely house with secure incomes and three perfect children, and we all live happily ever after.
These are all things I once believed, but the many things I’ve learnt have proven them wrong.